Top Ad

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Bobby Caldwell - 'Perfect Island Nights'

Bobby Caldwell hasn't changed. He still sounds the same. So what does this mean? It means that by picking up Perfect Island Nights there will be no surprises, but you don't really want any do you? Of course not. This CD is just perfect the way it is, full of strong, well written and well recorded songs. The tunes are snappy and grab you right from the first song. So snappy I wonder why (not really because I know why) the first single is a cover song with Deniece Williams, "Where Is The Love." The originals here are extremely strong. The first three songs, "In The Afterlife," "Crazy For Your Love," and "Donna" just hit you and then hit you again. Makes you go wow! I love the way Caldwell choruses with himself. He does this through out and I just dig it. "Our Day Will Come" has this calypso, island feel to it while ""I Need You Love" has more of a R&B flavor. "Can't Get Over You" is just down right pretty. "Call Me Up" sounds like a Paul McCartney tune. Caldwell didn't need to put "Rain" on this CD since it appeared on Time & Again, but since there were so many good songs here one more just added to fun. I ripped a lot of songs from this CD for my Ipod and I'm not a big vocal guy so that should tell you something.
[contemporaryjazz.com]

No comments: