Top Ad

Wednesday, June 14, 2023

"Me, My Bass and I" - A solo recording from Bassist Craig Akin #jazz

Bassist/Composer Craig Akin

to release solo bass recording

"Me, My Bass and I"

Release Date: July 14th, 2023




About the Recording


I began playing bass professionally while in college. Since completing my Music Education degree in 1997 I've played over 5,000 gigs of everything imaginable (even a bris) and been featured on 100+ albums. I estimate 99.97% of my activity has been as a hired sideman to accompany others. I've led only a small handful of gigs under my own name over the years. So in all this time I've accumulated a lot of musical ideas in my head and hands but have never been proactive about getting them out. Until 2020 when everything came to a halt.


By this time I had already developed a simple yet effective home studio to record bass parts for people around the world. Now all of a sudden I had nothing but time to reevaluate everything. I decided part of what I wanted to do while the world was figuring itself out was record myself and get some of my ideas documented. This is how it began.


Up to this point I also had a lot of experience capturing video for countless projects so I decided if I'm going to record my ideas then I might as well set up video too. I didn't set out to make an album because I never dreamed of it, until months later when I had a few tunes recorded and realized I could put out an album (and my wife Abbie saying "of course you can put out an album, why not?"). So fast forward a year, now I've got a bunch of tunes recorded each with an accompanying video. And rather than rush to get the album out I figure it would be fun to release around my 50th birthday in 2023. And here we are!

About Craig Akin


Warm and familiar, you know this tune by heart. Yet with twists in tempo, his story marches to its own beat. Meet Craig Akin, a versatile bassist whose 25 years of experience have afforded him the skills to play myriad styles of music with ease. Born into a musical family in the buckle of the Bible Belt and now attuned to the rhythms of the New York skyline, he’s a quick study whose talents have taken him across the globe. 


Born in Tulsa, OK in the early 70’s, Craig Akin’s musical path was charted by a family of creatives and wanderlust inspired by the meandering Arkansas River. Next to his mama, he learned to play the piano at age 8 and turned to the trumpet at twelve. While most adolescents at the time were learning to “Walk like an Egyptian,” or glued to INXS (insert 80’s band of choice!) on MTV, Craig began guitar theory and harmony lessons.


Since then, Craig Akin has contributed to more than 100 albums and performed in shows from Tulsa to Taipei, with countless New York gigs and hundreds of national and international concerts and festivals in between. What he brings to the bandstand and studio today is a talent that is versatile, professional, relentless, intuitive yet always prepared. He’s passionate and authentic but also quickly adaptable to any musical situation, always committed to every note. How did he evolve into the in-demand bassist he is today? Tune into this story…


Moved by the music, teenager Craig followed his wanderlust and career dreams to Colorado, where he enrolled in formal music education amid the Rocky Mountains. While there, his grit and guitar prowess naturally flowed into electric bass and a coveted spot in the faculty jazz quintet.


A yearning to learn and play more gigs brought him to the University of Kansas to complete his music education degree and trumpet requirements. Meanwhile, Craig was drawn to the electric bass, followed by a fervor for upright, landing him many local gigs as a first-call bassist. These formative years proved “instrumental” to his musical evolution but only scratched the itch.


Kansas City, with its vibrant music scene, proved to be the perfect incubator for Craig’s maturing music style and professional approach. Just a few years past drinking age, he was averaging 270 shows a year and had the honor to play in clubs with nearly everyone on the jazz and blues scene including veterans Tommy Ruskin, Paul Smith, Greg Meise, Danny Embrey, Rod Fleeman, Todd Strait, Gary Sivils, Karrin Allyson, Bobby Watson,& Gary Foster.


A decade later, Craig was ready for new musical challenges. This time, he was drawn to New York City where he could learn from veteran bassists Jay Anderson, Scott Colley and Larry Grenadier. Under Larry’s guidance, Craig was keyed into further opportunities for growth, including a pivotal career moment: Two years of study with Miles Davis’s famed bassist Ron Carter. "Ron accepted nothing less than perfection,” Craig said. “With his experience and amazing ears, just being in his presence was inspiring. While I often felt like I was under a microscope, I walked away a better, stronger and recharged musician."


Nowadays, whether he’s playing his upright or electric bass, on stage or in the studio… jazz, pop, blues or rock, Craig is comfortable and creative, and he consistently delivers the goods. Currently, he can be found playing or recording with various other East Coast notables. He has performed in well over 5,000 shows and recently added a home recording studio to his artistic arsenal. Despite his extensive experience, Craig is known for being easy to work with. He approaches each new project with fresh ears and laid back Midwestern personality.

Facebook  Instagram

Craig Akin is available for interview.


Please visit:

www.craigakin.com






Best selling smooth jazz at amazon.com
Jazz from Amazon.com

No comments: