Top Ad

Friday, March 03, 2023

Jazz-soul singer Lady Blackbird: ‘I feel like I’m in my own biopic! #jazz

Marley Munroe spent decades toiling away in hotel bars and on a Christian label. But now, as Lady Blackbird, her powerful soul vocals have caught the mood of the times – and the attention of Taylor Swift




“I’m pretty damn persistent,” Marley Munroe laughs. “It’s been a long, often gruelling road, but I’m finally here.”

Munroe, AKA Lady Blackbird, has just walked off stage at the BBC’s Maida Vale Studios, after belting out three note-perfect, jazz-referencing songs backed by a symphony orchestra for Radio 2’s Piano Room Sessions. Adorned in her signature peroxide afro and oversized gold collar, she is capping off a whirlwind three years after decades spent searching for recognition in the music industry.

“I’ve done it all, from the cover gigs in hotel bars to rock, R&B and soul,” she says, ensconced on a red sofa in her dressing room. “I had so many moments where I thought it was happening and then the rug was pulled out from under me. I kept wondering: ‘When is it gonna change? When will it catch?’”

Read the entire article at theguardian.com by clicking here

Best selling smooth jazz at amazon.com
Jazz from Amazon.com

No comments: