Top Ad

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Springsteen keyboardist releases smooth jazz record

The man responsible for the defiant piano lines on Bruce Springsteen's "Born In the U.S.A." is breaking with rock anthems for a taste of smooth jazz.

Danny Federici, Springsteen's long-time keyboardist in the E Street Band, will release an instrumental album titled "Out Of A Dream" next Tuesday via V2 Records.

"Back in the ("Born In The U.S.A.") days I used to go to bed a lot later and sleep a lot longer," Federici, 55, told Reuters in a recent interview.

But he said he had a soft spot for smooth jazz long before his lifestyle started to mellow out.

"I've loved this kind of music for a long time," he said. "We get such a little window to express ourselves with so many members in the E Street Band. Now I get to show people what I can really do."

The album features eight original Federici compositions, as well as covers of Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and The Rolling Stones' "Miss You."

Although the music is radically different than Federici's work with the Boss, he hopes the E Street fans will warm up to it.

"I hope that this is the music that they're listening to in their cars on their way to work or that they put on when they make love at night," he said. "When we play it live, it's not going to put them to sleep, it will have a little edge to it."

With Springsteen out on a solo tour, his sidekick for more than 30 years has put together his own six-piece band and plans to hit the road.

"I'll have a chance to stand in front of the band for a change and talk to the audience and play my music," he said. "I could play this music till I was 75."
[reuters.com]
Technorati tag:

No comments: