Top Ad

Monday, January 12, 2009

Kenny Lattimore Says Covering 'Timeless' Artists Is 'Scary'

Singer Kenny Lattimore is percolating on the smooth jazz airplay chart with his version of the Beatles classic "And I Love Her." The tune is from his Verve Records debut Timeless, which features Lattimore performing a variety of pop and soul classics.

Lattimore's first single from the set was a version of the Norman Connors tune "You Are My Starship." He also covers Marvin Gaye's "That's The Way Love Is," Stevie Wonder's "It Ain't No Use," Donny Hathaway's "Giving Up," and Terence Trent D'Arby's "Undeniably."

Lattimore admits that approaching these classic tunes is something of a challenge, but he does so humbly: "Because any time you're approaching a classic great song like that with a great performance, it's scary! I don't want people to think that I go in thinking, 'Oh, I'm so great, I'm gonna go in here and I'm gonna improve upon the original'or 'I'm gonna take it into the stratosphere. That is not how it feels. You really have to go in and listen back to yourself -- and believe me, I am my worst critic."

Lattimore's version of "And I Love Her" leaped onto the smooth jazz chart this week at Number 26.

By: Janine Coveney

Shop The Kenny Lattimore Store at amazon.com
Best selling smooth jazz at amazon.com
Jazz from Amazon.com

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: