Top Ad

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Earl Klugh In Clapton Film

Earl Klugh is among the dozens of  virtuosos who took part in Eric Clapton’s annual Crossroads Guitar Festival in Chicago on June 26, but don’t fret if you missed it: on July 27, NCM Fathom and Rhino Entertainment release a theatrical version, Eric Clapton Crossroads 2010, in more than 475 movie theaters nationwide.

The Grammy-nominated jazz guitarist joined artists from a range of genres, including Keb’ Mo, BB King, Jeff Beck, Sheryl Crow, John Mayer and Vince Gill.  During the festival, he spoke with a reporter about being one of the few jazz players there: “I’m an acoustic guitar player pretty much exclusively, so performing in an event that includes so many different styles I just think it’s a wonderful thing. It’s a wonderful way to get to know people and share music and tear down boundaries of music….basically me being a jazz player,  I’m kinda far and away from a lot of the players. I got an opportunity  to sit in with Vince Gill who is a big hero of mine, so I enjoy doing things that are different than what I usually do.”

The annual festival benefits Clapton’s Crossroads Center rehab facility in Antigua.  Asked what causes he supports, Klugh said, “I do a lot of things around the country with music in the schools, because when I was a kid, music was a given in school. That, to me, singly is what’s shrinking everything about music…there’s a reliance on the artificial making of music just by sampling and this type of thing. The whole thing of learning an instrument and having that connection isn’t completely lost, but it’s not the way it was when I was young. So I try at every opportunity to go to different schools.”

Klugh added that he’s begun work on his next album, a follow-up to his Grammy-nominated The Spice of Life.  You can hear him currently on Brian Culbertson’s new single, “That’s Life.”
Find more about Eric Clapton Crossroads 2010 here:

http://www.fathomevents.com/concertsandmusic/event/ericclaptoncrossroad.aspx

This was originally posted on 7/16/10 by smoothjazznetwork.com

Search Amazon.com Music for  Earl Klugh
Best selling smooth jazz at amazon.com
Jazz from Amazon.com
Bookmark and Share

No comments: