Top Ad

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

In Iran, listening to Kenny G. is now an act of rebellion

Kenny G.'s music is indecent?!

First they came for Kenny G., and I did not speak out . . .


Kenny G.'s music is indecent?! There's a bit of news that may have snuck in under your radar this last week during the holiday rush. Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad banned western and "indecent" music from the airwaves of his country's TV and radio stations. Some artists singled out for criticism were Eric Clapton, George Michael and smooth-jazz artist Kenny G.

Kenny G?

I'm quite certain that there are many homes and business establishments in Richmond where a voluntary ban on Kenny G. exists. I doubt, however, that such bans are in place because of the man's inherent "indecency." The worst thing that happens to me when I've heard that blowhard - I mean saxophonist - is the persistent feeling that I'm stuck in a dentist's office. I'll look down and imagine seeing months-old issues of Time, Sports Illustrated and People magazines. I never feel like the soprano sax is going to shred my moral fiber.

Generally one has to push the limits a bit beyond circular breathing and duets with Michael Bolton to attract the attention of our own politicians. The 2-Live Crew, Ice-T's "Cop Killer" (especially ironic since he's a regular on "Law & Order") and the "hot-coffee" patch in Grand Theft Auto couldn't even do the trick. This is a fact that I'm rather thankful for as we approach the end of the year. The worst I'd have to endure for purchasing a CD is the ridicule of my friends and coworkers. I never have to worry that a "Promotion of Decency and Prevention of Vice" squad is going to raid my apartment for an embarrassingly large collection of Rush CDs. And you can have my Sergio Mendez and Brasil '66 albums when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers.

One artist that I suspect won't be banned from Iran is The Grateful Dead. Why's that? Here's a quote from the Radio Free Europe archive:

"[Iranian president] Ahmadinejad said that someone present at the UN told him that a light surrounded him while he was delivering his speech to the General Assembly. The Iranian president added that he also sensed it.

"He said when you began with the words 'in the name of God,' I saw that you became surrounded by a light until the end [of the speech]," Ahmadinejad appears to say in the video. "I felt it myself, too. I felt that all of a sudden the atmosphere changed there, and for 27-28 minutes all the leaders did not blink."

Ahmadinejad adds that he is not exaggerating.

"I am not exaggerating when I say they did not blink; it's not an exaggeration, because I was looking," he says. "They were astonished as if a hand held them there and made them sit. It had opened their eyes and ears for the message of the Islamic Republic."

Do you think he mixed the electric Kool-Aid himself?

I suspect that once you think you can change political opinion by banning George Michael or Eric Clapton, you're not very far away from thinking that your citizenry won't laugh if you say you were suffused with white light at the UN. I wonder who will be next? Will the country survive the brutal suppression of Enya, Yanni and Zamfir? Will the Trans-Siberian Orchestra be branded an agent of Russian imperialism?

There is hope, however, for adult contemporary music in the Islamic Republic. My Iranian ex-pat friends tell me that just about anything is available at the country's bazaars. Persian smooth-jazz fans will still be able to get the latest from David Sanborn, Candy Dulfer or anyone else on the black market.

The only difference is that listening to Kenny G. now is an act of rebellion.

That's all for now . . . We hope you enjoyed your holiday and look for Plan 9's Top 9's of 2005 later this week!

The Music Channel Brian Larson - richmond.com

Technorati tag:

No comments: