Top Ad

Friday, May 25, 2007

Maysa | "Feel The Fire"

For the last sixteen years, this vocalist started out with Stevie Wonder’s “Wonderlove,” and then she moved on to record with the Jazz-Funk-Outfit “Incognito.” Maysa’s voice has also graced many Jazz and R&B CD’s, including her own six recordings. So when I was first approached about reviewing this CD, I was very skeptical about doing a review of my future wife’s new project “Feel The Fire,”. But I agreed and took myself out of the equation and set aside my love for Maysa Leak! So.. I’m going to give you the setting...

It’s a warm summer night, a gorgeous sunset, two glasses ~ a bottle of Christal, and the silky smooth vocals of Maysa....
The CD starts with Stevie Wonder’s classic “I Can't Help It” and it sets the tone for the whole. Maysa’s vocals glide effortlessly throughout this song and then she breaks into a Sarah Vaughn like scat and it’s on from there!

When Norman Connors first recorded this track, with an unknown Michael Henderson, no one knew it would become such a huge hit and not many artists can actually cover a Norman Connors hit song. Maysa puts in her own special touch and it sounds like she is sitting right next to you, singing in your ear...

On the opening track, Maysa covers R&B Super group 'Maze's - “Happy Feelin’” with smoldering passion! I find myself wishing that Frankie and Maysa would do a duet of this song! If Maysa would have recorded this song in the seventies, we knew it would be an instant classic. Now that Maysa has re-recorded it, she has reaffirmed the classics' still has life.

The two upbeat tracks on this disc are The Emotions ”Best of My Love,” and Evelyn “Champagne” King’s, “I’m In Love” (which, of course, had me dancing in my car!). Maysa does her own thing on these songs.

This song is on almost every slow jam compilation I have and not since Atlantic Starr, Gerald Alston and Marvin Dickey had this song been sung with so much heartfelt passion about a woman whose relationship is on the rocks and feels that she must have some 'me' time. Well, Maysa turns the tables and tells her man (Marvin) that if I need her -- just send for me.

"Feel The Fire", the title track from this gorgeous sounding CD is enough to make Peabo Bryson blush! This smoldering song should be played on every “Quiet Storm” format across the nation 'cause it is in a league of its own!

I was on a bus going to school and the hit song at the time was The Commodores “Brick House,” but side #1 had the classic slow jam “Zoom”. That song, right there, defined who I was. Moreover, Maysa brings that certain memory back with her lovely version of “Zoom”. She just flows throughout this track!

This CD is just beautiful all the way around, or less an instant classic for those who appreciate good wholesome, old school music sung by the premier vocalist ~ Maysa Leak. Now, I have to put myself back into the equation and bring back all the love, lust and basically Maysa was singing to me, since we have gone through a lot in the past 15 years, and I hope to spend an eternity with Maysa (musically that is)....

~ Marvin Dickey
theurbanmusicscene.com


Find more Maysa CDs at amazon.com
Best selling smooth jazz at amazon.com
Jazz from Amazon.com

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: