Top Ad

Monday, February 02, 2009

Chart Notes With Gordon Murray

The skinny on our charts, and more
By Gordon Murray
Euge Groove smashes a winner for a fourth consecutive week with "Religify" (Narada Jazz/Capitol) (346 plays, +12), extending his lead at the top to a huge 53 plays! Warren Hill's "La Dolce Vita" (Evolution/Koch) is the runner-up for the second week in a row and the fourth week overall, dating back to the 12/20/08 issue.

Boney James aces this week's Most Increased Plays (for the third consecutive week) and Most Added (for the second consecutive week) categories with "Stop, Look, Listen (To Your Heart)" (Concord/CMG). James is up 9-7 on the chart in only his fourth week, gaining 32 plays and netting new adds at KRVR/Modesto, WDSJ/Dayton, WJZZ/Atlanta, and WNUA/Chicago.

This follows James' winning leap last week of 18-9, which put him into elite company: only four other songs on the BDS-based chart have volleyed their way into the top 10 in 3 weeks or less, the most recent being Kenny G's "Sax-o-loco" (Starbucks/Concord/CMG) in two weeks in the Feb. 16, 2008 issue. That song went on to spend seven weeks as chart champion, so the quick pace bodes well for James, marking his fourth top 10 smash.

Eric Darius hangs tough, boasting consistent hitting with "Goin' All Out" (Blue Note/Capitol). Darius slices 8-15, down 36 spins in his 37th chart week. Last week, after 39 weeks on the tour, Earl Klugh's "Driftin'" (861/Koch), the No. 1 Indicator Song of 2008, finally retired to the senior circuit. Only seven songs have played for as many or more weeks on the BDS chart: Chuck Loeb's "Window Of The Soul" (Heads Up) holds the trophy, at 44 weeks.

"Bada Bing" (Capitol) by Dave Koz Featuring Jeff Golub is makes its way inside the lines, joining our ranks at No. 28. At plus 27 plays Koz & Golub just barely lose in the semifinals of the Most Increased Plays tally, just a few shots behind the points leaders (Boney James at +32 and Michael Lington "You And I" (NuGroove) at +31).

Recommended Listening: Two Friday mornings ago I was bundled up at home, waiting for the plumber to arrive to fix our heat, and I wondered, hmm, what am I going to listen to? Nothing good on the radio at the time, I can't start off my day with television, and my iPod was in my coat and I wasn't getting it. So, a CD… I went for a lively one that's been in such steady rotation I haven't been able to file it away in a binder since I got it back in October: Kenny Garrett's "Sketches of MD: Live At The Iridium" (Mack Avenue). My budgie, Kona, immediately began chattering away so I knew I made a solid choice. Mark, the plumber, arrived shortly after, and before we could discuss the heating situation he had to know what great music I had playing. I said oh it's Kenny Garrett with Pharoah Sanders and others, recorded live at Iridium. We stood there jammin' for a few moments…This is a fierce live jazz album; with moods, conversations, and attitude. The interplay between the sax masters excites, drawing you in: you feel as if you're in the heat of the club (particularly helpful to me given my predicament) during exchanges like this "C'mon New York…ba ba ba ba…c'mon c'mon, what, c'mon, what, c'mon New York, c'mon New York, what, uh, c'mon hip-hop, c'mon, I can't hear ya, what, c'mon c'mon, ba ba ba…Are you happy people? Are you happy people? Well make some noise!" This is a "takes you there" collection of five long yet energetic tracks, and yes, I am more than happy to recommend it!
Copyright © 2008 The Nielsen Company. All rights reserved.

radioandrecords.com

Best selling smooth jazz at amazon.com
Jazz from Amazon.com

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: