Top Ad

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Obamas praise Stevie Wonder at White House

To hear Barack Obama tell it, he owes Stevie Wonder plenty.

"I think it's fair to say that had I not been a Stevie Wonder fan, Michelle might not have dated me. We might not have married," Obama said Wednesday as he and the first lady hosted a concert and award ceremony for Wonder. "The fact that we agreed on Stevie was part of the essence of our courtship."

Wonder was presented with a Gershwin Award for lifetime achievement during the event, which is scheduled to air on PBS Thursday.
Wonder's tune, "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours," was often played at Obama's campaign stops.

The president told guests at the White House that Wonder's music was also the soundtrack to his youth and marriage. Michelle Obama told the crowd that Wonder's love song, "You and I," had been the couple's wedding song.

Wonder accepted the award from President Obama and gave him a big hug.

"President and Mrs. Obama, I'm so excited to know that I was a part of. ... I needn't say more," Wonder said, drawing laughter and applause. "I want to first of all thank God for this moment, because only through him could all this happen."

Gospel duo Mary Mary, hip-hop musician will.i.am and jazz crooner Tony Bennett were among the other performers at the event. Obama staff members said the event was part of an effort to open the White House to a broader community

Shop The Stevie Wonder Store at amazon.com
Best selling smooth jazz at amazon.com
Jazz from Amazon.com

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments:

susan said...

How is that the white house has the money to host a party. I thought we all needed to tighten our belt and that we had an ecomomoc crisis?
This is a wonderful thing to do for Stevie, a wonderful sentiment, but a slap in the face to those of us that are struggling financially and that will not get a penny of the stimulus. Talk about arrogant.

Mike said...

Susan, I'm personally sorry for any problems you may be having, and for the many other American's in the same position. I am confident however, that things will improve for all of us. Having said that, and not wanting this blog to be political or opinionated, I would like to believe that the award ceremony is totally justified as part of the white house promotion of the arts. It was also an ongoing award program by the Library of Congress, as well as an ongoing PBS broadcast program. While there is true suffering, there is also a serious crisis of confidence, and the curtailment of a program such as this would send a very bad message. This is not arrogrance. I thank you for your comments and your patronage of JazzHQ