Top Ad

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Wayman Tisdale Shares Details of New Prosthetic Leg (Video)

Bassist Wayman Tisdale is back on his feet and doing fine after adjusting to a new computerized prosthetic leg created for him last month by Scott Sabolich Prosthetics & Research in his hometown of Oklahoma City. The former NBA star, whose leg was amputated just above his knee on August 25th after being diagnosed with bone cancer, initially had some trouble with his prosthetic, forcing him to cancel a comeback show in early October.

In a recent interview with NewsOK.com, Tisdale said that he's adjusting fast to the new appendage, achieving in weeks what some amputees take months to learn. He explained the challenge: "I have to teach myself to walk all over again. It's like I've never seen my legs before, it's almost like that. Actually, this leg is fine, it's just that you have to put trust in this foreign object, that, you know, like: 'OK, what is this and how is it going to function like this leg?' You're so used to this one, you were born with this one, raised with it. But you know, every day it gets easier."

Tisdale added that seeing the struggle of others who have lost their limbs has inspired him to do more through his foundation. He added, "I look at people who are a lot worse off than I am, I've seen this disease at its core . . . It's something that I want to be able to speak about and I want to be able to, in my foundation, be able to donate limbs to underprivileged kids who go through what I go through. I know what it's like and I want to help somebody else out."

Tisdale -- who released the CD Rebound earlier this year -- has been working hard to get stronger in time for the Smooth Jazz Cruise, which sails on January 18th from Forth Lauderdale, Florida. He'll be the host for the event, which is almost sold out. Go to thesmoothjazzcruise.com for more information.


Video: newsok.com
Article: wvmv.com

Find more Wayman Tisdale CDs on amazon.com
Best selling smooth jazz at amazon.com
Jazz from Amazon.com

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: